So ... despite the fact that these people mean well, I've successfully developed a pet peeve (see cartoon -->). After explaining [because they ask, mind you] what I'm doing and what I'm in school for, and exactly how long it will take me, and what I'm planning to do with all of this learning, they sigh exasperated and ask "Why?" I really thought that telling them what I wanted to do, that would be enough; and we could move on to another conversation topic. I suppose I really don't have a good why and this maybe is the real reason for the newly formed pet peeve. It's not for the money or for the status, I really do like research and I do like people (even more than mice, so i've discovered) and I would like to help people and try to make thier lives easier. In the undeertones of the "Why" is 'your husband is a physician, why don't you just stay home and raise your family?' They do not of course say this, nor am I sure that this is what they mean, I'm probably over reacting and being overly sensitive about the whole subject, because I feel like I do have to defend why I'm doing what I'm doing. I am sure that I would make a terrible house wife - Anthony would be pulling his hair out if all I had to do was stay home all day! We would both go nuts curtosy of my OCD. Ok - that's my rant for the day. Thanks :)
No comments:
Post a Comment