10.13.2008

Chicago Marathon 2008


Hi Friends,
I know it's rediculous how rarely I write on here, but believe it or not, our life isn't all that exciting and UMC is pretty much the same day in and day out. However over the next few months we do have some exciting plans. and I'll post pictures on here.
The above photo (and link if you click on it) are pictures from the Chicago Marathon. My friend Jeanann came along too - she was a great travel companion even when we got dropped in the middle of the highway at a "bus stop." The city was fun as always - even though we didn't really get to enjoy it for too long. We flew up on Friday and returned on Sunday evening. The marathon itself was - in a nutshell - hot and long. But the people and neighborhoods were great. they all came out and gave out water and gatorade, and ice and oragnes, and sprayed us down with waterhoses and sprinklers. what was really funny was that it was hotter on Oct 12 in Chicago than it was in Jackson. My training fault is that i normally began my long runs on Saturdy morning around 5:30 so i could finish before it got too hot; unfortunately the real race didn't start until 8:00 and I didn't cross the start line until 8:20ish (yes there were that many people ahead of me). I finished just under 5 hours, which was a little more than i had hoped for, but this was my first marathon. I had a great time, but the pain came afterwards. The first day after - it was joint pain, knees and ankles really hurt. The 2nd day after was the muscle pain - which was a bit worse than regular run muscle pain, but went away after a few days as well. No long term damage that I can tell. I 've been taking it easy for the past few weeks - which is a nice break - but am looking forward to getting back to the running routine. The next race that I've signed up for is the MS Blues 1/2 marathon in Jackson in January. I haven't signed up officially yet, but I'd really like to run in the Seaside 1/2 marathon in march - just because I really love seaside and think it's a great excuse to go to the beach for the weekend! I'll keep you posted and keep posting pictures.

1 comment:

jeremy, adelle, and ella said...

yeah!! so glad you posted about the marathon! i am so impressed!! i have thought about the 1/2 marathon in seaside for years but don't know if i have enough motivation to get me ready for it this year. we'll see (o:
oh and your life is not boring!! (o: